Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Wheelerwood, My Town

What a nut! I mean it, Cobra is such a nut! Some days he can be so naughty and other days he is so silly and crazy (with a side of naughtiness).
A couple days ago, I came home and got to work on my computer classes and out of the blue here comes Cobra with a bread sack in his mouth. The silly thing is, he brought it right over to me! I never would have expected that! He sat by me with his little tail wagging, holding this bread sack in his mouth. All I could do was laugh because the whole situation was just funny! You had to have been there to really appreciate it.
Another thing happened that was, again, just too funny.
I'm cleaning up the kitchen and here comes Cobra, trotting out from the bathroom carrying the bar of soap. He plopped down right in front of me and started licking it. I'm not sure if he didn't see me or if he, in his mind, thought it was OK to chew on a bar of soap. I mean he came right out and sat down at my feet! Again, it was funny just the way he presented himself with the bar of soap. He didn't really like it, because after a couple of seconds, he got up and left it right in front of me. It was as if he was saying, "Ah, here is this bar of soap. I don't like it, so pick it up and put it back"
Crazy, crazy dog.
I actually had fun at work today! I have most of the cashiering duties down and in only the first day! I think I might like it there. The co workers are great and the customers know my dad really well so that helps me feel comfortable. I'm looking forward to getting my pay check though (aren't we all!)
Tonight Cobra and I went into an old church that is right next to our house. Our house was built in 1880 and is the last house remaining of what used to be the town Wheelerwood, established in 1859 The church is also still standing and that was built in 1890. It is pretty old and awhile back someone from a preservation museum was going to take it and restore it, but talk was the only thing they did. Even though the church has been without a congregation for over 35 years now, I feel a deep connection with it. When I was little, I wanted so bad to believe that the church was part of the underground railroad, but after searching all the walls (and realizing it was to new) I couldn't find anything.
Yep, that church has its place in my heart and even though the roof is slowly deteriorating, I like to go inside and look at all the history. There are newspaper articles and insurance policies and all sorts of stuff from 1903 and on. I was hoping to find a deed, but my imagination was the only thing I found (I wanted to find the deed, and a stack of confederate money, maybe some documents writtn by Billy Sunday or something. Why, I don't know. It was the childhood imagination that was getting ahold of me. It was fun though :) Its a shame that they are going to waste and being used as mice bedding.
I've decided to save some of that stuff myself and make a preservation scrapbook to keep it all in. Maybe some day, Wheelerwood will be rediscovered and I will have the church documents to prove it.
I love living in Wheelerwood!!! Population 3 humans, 3 dogs, and 8 cats.

No comments: